Monday, April 30, 2012

Books I've read in 2012 - April

Småtrollene og den store oversvømmelsen
by Tove Jansson – AUDIO
If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things by Jon McGregor
The Tiger’s Wife by Téa Obreht – AUDIO
The Day is Dark by Yrsa Sigurdardóttir
Valarna i Tanganyikasjön by Lennart Hagerfors
Kongens elskerinne, volume two by Alexandre Dumas
Red Prophet by Orson Scott Card – AUDIO
Den store Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald – AUDIO
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
Edward Finnigans upprättelse by Roslund & Hellström – AUDIO
Kurt quo vadis? by Erlend Loe – AUDIO
Kurt koker hodet by Erlend Loe – AUDIO
Bara sedan solen sjunkit by Johanna Sinisalo
Pages From A Scullion’s Diary by George Orwell
Sankta Psyko by Johan Theorin
Gulldronning, perledronning by Margaret Skjelbred – AUDIO
The Areas of My Expertise by John Hodgman - AUDIO

8 printed books, 2,151 pages
9 audiobooks, 58h 19m

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where do you find the time for all these readings????

Leisha Camden said...

There are several answers to that, I guess ... partly it's about priorities. Not saying this necessarily applies to you, but just as a general example: watching less TV = more time to read. ;-) It's also about grabbing the little bits of time that you get here and there - ten minutes on the subway, five minutes waiting on the bus, it all adds up.

It's also due to the fact that I read fast - which is of course a side effect of reading a lot. The more you read, the more you will be able to read as well. This is something that a lot of people overlook. "Oh, I don't read much, it's so annoying, I read so slowly, so I can't be bothered." But those who read little because they feel they read slowly rarely realize that the reason they read so slowly is because they read so little. Again, not saying this applies to you, just a general observation.

You can also set little reading goals for yourself, that's something I've been doing for years ... it keeps you from putting a book aside and then "forgetting" about it. When you start a book, decide that you will read such and such a number of pages every single day till you've finished the book. 50 pages, 30 pages, 20, 10, whatever. It all adds up. :-)

Finally, as you will have noticed, I listen to a lot of audiobooks. About half of the books I read are on audio. I have an mp3 player that I use, and I listen to books when I'm doing umpteen different things. Washing dishes, changing the water in the aquarium, walking home from work, waiting in line at the store or the post office ...

I don't sit at home all day reading, in fact I work all day, and I do other things in my spare time as well besides read, but it's all the little things that turn out to quite a lot. This year my goal is to read 200 books. If I can manage 17 per month I'll hit 204, which means a little leeway, so 17 is the monthly goal. Looking good so far. :-)