Sunday, June 27, 2010

How does a book just disappear?

I started reading a book today ... Machiavelli's The Prince. Very interesting, at least as far as I got, which wasn't very far. I took the turtles out - the weather's been fantastic today - and sat on the lawn reading as they walked around. Or at least mostly walked around. There was a lot of climbing on my legs and lap and shoes and bundled up cardigan and bag ... this was by the little ones ... Raphael walked a lot more but he also spent a bit of time on one of his favorite pastimes, tipping things over. He tried with the travel cage first, but it was unusually heavy - I brought all my things out in a bag (camera, phone, keys, book, an apple, a bottle of water, sunglasses, mp3 player, headphones) but when he crawled into the bag and peed in it I moved everything over into the cage - so he gave up and tried it with me instead. Ie, burrowing in underneath me and tipping me over. It didn't work. ;-) Anyway. I started reading the book. Read the introduction and various related bits, and ten pages of Machiavelli's text. Then when we had been outside for long enough I brought everything inside. Now I want to continue reading, but where's the book??

I know I brought it in with me - I remember putting it in the bag and I remember seeing it lying on the hall floor. It's not there now, but I know for a fact that I saw it. And I know where I expect it to be, too. I tidied up earlier, and what I remember doing with the book is putting it in the living room, on the floor in front of my chair ... so I could pick it up and just sit down with it. :-) But now when I want it, it's not there. It's totally gone from anywhere at all that I remember seeing it.

Well, of course books don't just disappear. The title of this post is misleading. I finally found it on top of the hamper in the bathroom. The weird thing is that I have no memory whatsoever of putting it there. Why would I even bring it in there? o_O This is actually kind of interesting. An illustration of the way the mind works. I obviously did bring the book into the bathroom. I'm the only one here, and that's where it was, so I've clearly done it without remembering it. What I remember doing isn't what I actually did. I remember it wrongly because it's not an important memory and I did it pretty much on automatic pilot, so it didn't register well in my brain ... and so I remember the rational thing that I should have done, instead of the irrational thing that I actually did.

And people wonder how religions could have developed if they weren't really true ... ?? :-D

3 comments:

auroradormita said...

The turtles did it :O

Paz said...

sign of age madam

AudiX78 said...

the spirit of some old woman who lived in your apartement before you and died there did it.. all she does in the afterlife is moving books into the bathroom because that is what she did the day she died... in case you are wondering why I truly believe this, I was blessed with the company of someone believing in that shit yesterday...