Thursday, February 24, 2011

R.I.P.

Today's was my friend Eva's funeral. It was so sad. I hardly knew what to say to her family ... but it was good to see them all. I think the only thing you can really do in a situation like this is just to be there. I said to her sister that I didn't know what to say ... she said no, there isn't really anything you can say. But at least I could give her a hug.

Eva was buried from Tanum church in Bærum ... in an area where her family has had a very noticeable presence for generations. There are streets named after them. :-) It was a beautiful ceremony - especially a sort of memorial speech that her aunt had written on behalf of all her family in the West Country, which the vicar read - in this beautiful old church. But very sad.

Something that made it even more sad for me was that I have been really looking forward to the next time I would visit this church - for my best friend Tanumine's wedding this summer. That was the plan. I never thought I would be there for this. But, although of course I would so much rather that this had never happened, I'm very glad that I was able to be there. If that makes sense.

Goodbye, Eva. I'll always remember you.

1 comment:

Paz said...

Always sad at a funeral, agreed the most important think is to be there and offer an ear to listen and to share stories of something nice that the family might not have known.