Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Pointless flashback

I'm not a fan of remakes, and I am so seriously an anti-fan of this particular remake, but of course I will have to see it. Partly because it is what it is (and partly because I won't be able to bitch about it properly if I haven't seen it) and partly, of course, because of who's in it. Christopher Plummer is in it. I LOVE Christopher Plummer. I cannot miss Christopher Plummer.

And I'm sure he'll be wonderful, he's always wonderful, but generally speaking I'm pretty sure The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo will be a pointless flashback. The team behind it are saying that they haven't tried to create an English-language remake of the original movie, they've tried to stick to the book. Like the original movie did. o_O Which of course to a large extent explains why, as far as the trailer goes, the only difference worth mentioning seems to be the actors. Who in any case can hardly be seen since the entire trailer consists of extremely brief images spliced together to create the impression of an extremely fast paced action thriller.

However, if the movie really is anything like the book, it'll be a slightly overlong and rather slow moving psychological thriller where you really need to pay attention to every spoken line, of which there will be a great many. Some moviegoers may find themselves disappointed. >:-)

The trailer is relatively intriguing, but I really wonder how I would perceive it if I knew nothing of the Millennium trilogy. It doesn't really indicate that there's much of a plot to this. There's an extreme amount of action, but what the hell is going on? I sure can't tell you based on this trailer.

I also really don't like the ending with the GIANT BLOCK LETTERS telling us all HOW TOTALLY AWESOME this is going to be. So typically Hollywood ... forcefeeding us what we're supposed to think, and just making it so glaringly obvious what they're trying to get at. How about letting the audience make up its own mind? Nope, that's not the American way.

But hey, I'm not like that, I'm going to let you guys make up your own minds. ;-) This is the first official trailer for the first American Millennium movie. What's the point?



Widescreen here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've seen this trailer too. I'm a big fan of the books, and I really liked and enjoyed the Swedish movies. I'm very skeptical and unenthused about this "American" version. I heard there were quite a few changes and a different ending.

I'll probably see it, but I won't be expecting much. I'd rather watch the Swedish versions and read the subtitles.