Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Very funny Postcrossing card

I got five Postcrossing cards yesterday - from Lithuania, Ukraine, the US, Poland and Thailand. Fantastic. The one from Poland was my favorite, hands down. I can't tell you why exactly, but it totally cracks me up. I burst out laughing the first time I looked at it. I love that third frog from the left. La la la la ... !! :-D

Sto lat is a Polish expression that AFAIK means something along the lines of 'to your health'. They use it when an Englishman would say 'cheers'. I think. The literal meaning is 'a hundred years'. So, may you live for a hundred years, is the subtext. How do I know this? I learned it from reading Discworld novels! :-D There is a town on the Discworld that is called Sto Lat - Susan Death is from there, for those in the know - and I once read an interview with Pterry where he explained how he'd come to pick that name. Yes, reading really expands your mind. ;-)

No comments: