Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Tveten Farm, Tveita, Oslo, Norway

I've almost been forgetting my resolution to blog about Oslo once a month. Better late than never. :-) This month's topic: Tveten Farm, which is a few minutes' walk from my house. :-)

Tveten Farm is one of the oldest farms still extant in the city. It hasn't functioned as a farm, of course, for a very long time ... but many buildings are still intact and of course have protected status. The oldest structures on the property date back to the 15th century. Most of the older buildings are from the 18th and 19th centuries, however. There is also a rather beautiful garden. The farm is currently owned by the city district of Alna and is in use as a culture center. There are many concerts and plays there throughout the year, there are activities for seniors and for local children, an annual flea market ;-) and a Constitution Day party every May 17th. There is also a riding school on the property, with paddocks and fields and what have you. A lovely place. You can read a little more about it here (in Norwegian, alas).

These pictures were all taken by me on a Sunday in January 2009.

10 comments:

Paz said...

great shots and great to have that resource in the city

Leisha Camden said...

Thanks! I was pretty happy with this series of pictures. I just had to take some while it was all covered in snow like this. Maybe this summer I'll do it again and show off the place when it's all green and lovely there. :-)

George said...

beautiful pictures!

Leisha Camden said...

Thanks!! :-)

Leisha Camden said...

You learn something new every day. :-)

Paz said...

every time I learn something new it pushes something old out of my brain.
Homer J Simpson

Leisha Camden said...

LOL! I remember that scene! :-D

Paz said...

full quote "every time I learn something new it pushes something old out of my brain. Remember that time I learned how to make wine and forgot how to drive?"

Leisha Camden said...

Yes, I can see how those two things might be connected ... ;-)

virginia1969 said...

My paternal family name is Tveten. I live in the U.S. and have not been to Norway. I regret that I don't know more about the Tveten Farm as my older family members that have been there have passed away. I see that there is a town in Sweden called Tveten- but I know that all of my father's family were from a farm in Norway. Thanks for the story and pics- as it has inspired me to research it further.