Tuesday, March 22, 2011

ICELAND 2011 - Coming Home

Iceland has become a country to watch in recent years. They've sent some memorable entries. It's been a bit hit and miss, though. I'm afraid I think that this year may be another miss. I am not a fan of this song. It may grow on me ... in fact I'm pretty sure it will, I've only listened to it a few times so far ... but the problem with that should be obvious, ie, it won't necessarily have time to grow on the voting audience. Most people aren't as crazy as me. So. There's nothing wrong with the song, it's rather fun, it's charming and kind of sweet, but it doesn't really have much of a personality, so I'm afraid it does run the risk of slipping people's memories. They need to hope that there are a lot of older people in the audience, because I don't think this will appeal much to younger viewers.

The one thing I really don't like about this entry is the presentation. They look like a Swedish dance band (which to me is seriously not a compliment). Six grown men in identical outfits is usually ... just ... no.

The one thing I like the most about the song is that it's in Icelandic. But in Düsseldorf, as you see, they will be singing in English. So scratch that.

I won't be able to influence the fate of this song in the initial stages anyhow, because they're in the same semi as us, so we can't vote for them. I do hope they will get through, though. Just because it's Iceland. :-) I would SO love for them to win the whole shebang some day. But I don't think that's going to happen this year.

Anyway, judge for yourselves. :-) This is Sjonni's Friends, or is it Sigurjon's Friends, performing Aftur heim by Sigurjón Brink and Þórunn Erna Clausen. They will be competing for Iceland on Tuesday, May 10th.



Widescreen here.

Lyrics in both Icelandic and English here.

No comments: