Thursday, March 3, 2011

'V'

Anyone remember V? The awesomely cool science fiction series from the 80s? I remember watching it and just absolutely loving it ... this can't have been when it first came out, I don't think, because that was in the early 80s and I must have been too young then. I don't think my parents would have let me watch it if I was only in elementary school. ;-) But I'm not sure when it was originally aired in Norway, maybe it took years and years, so maybe it was the first time it was on TV here that I saw it. The only time? Whatever, I loved it. It was just SO COOL ... the whole concept was so fantastic and I thought it was wonderfully executed too.

I haven't watched it for years and years though, I've been planning to get it on DVD for a long time, but never got around to it. Until now! :-D I actually first bought the first season of the remake, mostly on a whim, I've been leery of watching it, because, well, remakes. Remakes are bad, mmkay? But I got it so cheap that I couldn't resist. And I have to say that I was very positively surprised. Of course it's very different from the original ... the CGI available today just doesn't compare. But I loved it. I really like what they've done with it. One thing though - it made me even more eager to see the original again. So then I just had to buy it. :-)

Now I've finally got hold of the whole thing - not sure how many hours it is, but quite a lot. :-) I've been a little worried about watching it again because, as I may have mentioned before, when you watch things you loved as a kid, you sometimes discover that you were dumb and had no taste as a kid. Alas. But it's not happening with V. I'm watching it now - literally right now - and I'm totally loving it. It's just as good as I remember. It looks kind of old-fashioned, but it rocks. If you haven't seen it, and you like SF, then you MUST see it. Your life is incomplete if you haven't seen it. :-)

1 comment:

RHJ said...

Yes, I remember V!

The series went on Swedish TV in 1986, apparently.

And I do not think it was shown on Norwegian television. But the cartoon was published in Norwegian translation.