Friday, February 12, 2010

NORWAY 2010 - My Heart Is Yours

OK, so, here's the guy who finally convinced me to leave the performers' names out of the titles of these posts: Didrik Solli-Tangen. With that name, he hardly seems destined for an international career. ;-) But then again, he does want to be an opera singer, and they usually do have weird unwieldy names, so who knows. :-D

Anyway. This is the Norwegian entry for this year's ESC. I've written so much about it already that I don't suppose I have to say much here. :-) This is a song that had deserved a better singer ... he has a lot of potential, but he also has a lot of nerves. If only this guy could, ahem, meet with a little accident between now and May, and we could get Rein Alexander to sing it instead ... wow, then we'd be talking. But this is what we've got to work with. The song is good, it's a kind of song I like a lot, so theoretically it may do well. The UK did well with a very similar song last year, they came fifth, so there's a chance for this song too. But the fact that our song will only be heard once this year is a handicap - this is a song that grows on people, it takes some time to appreciate it, so we could really have used an appearance in the semi too. But of course, there's the question of whether we would have even gotten through from the semi ...

I've said it before, but we need to brace ourselves, because this really is a potential nil-pointer. I know most of my fellow countrymen won't believe that - we tend to be pretty unrealistic about our ESC chances ;-) - but depending on the competition and the expectations of the audience, we could really bomb this year. Oh well ... as long as we don't win again, I guess that's all that really matters. ;-)

This is Didrik Solli-Tangen performing My Heart Is Yours by Hanne Sørvaag and Fredrik Kempe. They will be competing in Oslo, or rather just outside of Oslo, on Saturday, May 29th. They will not be competing in the semi-finals, because we won last year and as host nation we have an automatic place in the final. Good luck to us - we'll need it. >:-)



Lyrics here.

Oh, and yeah - I think those violins are embarrassing too. ;-)

1 comment:

awaywithfairies said...

I think the song's OK, but I'm always doubtful about any singer who needs *two* earpieces to stay in time and in tune...