Wednesday, April 27, 2011

DENMARK 2011 - New Tomorrow

As we all know, I'm a very shallow and judgmental person. So it won't surprise you to hear that before I ever heard this song, I disliked it ... based solely on the title. I'm sorry, but come on, cliché much?? I also cannot stand the singer's hair, it's awful ... it's worse than those Irish twins'. And the lyrics ... OK, they're not all bad, but ... well, they're mostly bad. And that is so annoying, because melody-wise, this song is actually really likeable. If only they'd been singing in some language I couldn't understand, I would really like this song, because the melody is actually pretty damn catchy.

In fact it's so catchy that I'm pretty sure it's ripped off from somewhere. Listen to the chorus. Where have I heard that before?

This is the kind of song that I wish I could like, and that I would have liked if only I had had the ability that some people have of just hearing what I want to hear. You know, the kind of people who don't understand why I get annoyed by crappy subtitles at the movies - 'why don't you just not read them?' WTF? Like my mother says about Progress Party politics, if it was that easy, I'd already be doing it. >:-( But I digress.

Denmark usually does pretty well in the ESC, at least they mostly tend to get to the final. They may manage it this year too, but I'm not entirely convinced. This is such a clichéfest that they will have to rely on people not understanding English much and a lot of dumb teenagers liking fluffy lightweight songs that pretend to be deep. Both those things ought to be a cinch! :-D But the song may not have enough personality for the audience to remember much of it. It's upbeat and harmless. Let's make a new tomorrow - today. Blargh.

This is A Friend In London - their band name is dumb too! - performing New Tomorrow by Lise Cabble and Jakob Glæsner. They will be competing for Denmark on Thursday, May 12th.


Widescreen here.

Lyrics here.

No comments: