Monday, January 26, 2009

BELARUS 2009: Petr Elfimov - Eyes That Never Lie

The Belarusian entry for Moscow 2009, chosen on January 19th.

Hmmm ... how to express my opinion on this entry? 'Piece of shit, and WTF is up with that hairdo'? Does that about sum it up?

OK, first of all, this guy looks like an idiot with that hair. Not that there's anything wrong with that, etc. But if he goes on stage in Moscow looking like that, he's going to lose a lot of votes ... because although that look may be cool in Eastern Europe (I doubt it), to Western eyes he's just going to look very funny and they (OK; we) will all laugh and will not vote for this song. The performance here is odd too - more than 30 seconds of just instrumental melody before he actually starts to sing? Although I do actually quite like that instrumental bit ... but I'm not at all sure that it's enough of a hook to be worth it. I will be so not surprised if they change that between now and May ...

Anyway, the song isn't very good either, so they're pretty much screwed this year. Dumbass lyrics, of course, but that doesn't really matter. Ie, it doesn't make or break a song. I don't think his performance is good, he looks nauseatingly smug. Yuck. And what an outfit ... ! The more I hear this song, the more I think it's actually kind of sad ... because this could have been a pretty cool song, Wig Wam style, if they'd had the guts to really run with it. But they just don't go far enough. Nowhere near far enough. >:-)

This is all to the good though, as Belarus cannot possibly be permitted to win the ESC. I'm serious: no matter how much you like this song (as if, I hope), DO NOT vote for it. They can come play with us, we're nice people after all, but seriously, they cannot possibly be allowed to win.

So ... Eyes That Never Lie, performed by Petr Elfimov, with music & lyrics by Petr Elfimov and V. Prokhozhy, who will be competing for Belarus.



Lyrics here.

No comments: