Monday, April 26, 2010

An expected surprise

I went downtown after work today, to do a teeny tiny bit of shopping and to visit the library. I had some books to return and some to pick up. I took the bus home ... or at least halfway home, I got the 37 bus to Helsfyr from the stop down the street from the main library. I don't usually read on the bus, I prefer to look out at the scenery. :-) This afternoon I noticed all these police cars lined up along a street downtown ... and then a little further out there were more cars, one of them marked up as squad leader ... I sat on the bus thinking how weird it was that there were so many police cars altogether, and not the normal ones either, but the bigger, numbered ones. It seriously took me like two or three minutes to figure it out. Maybe the police are out and about so much because Dmitri Medvedev is in town? You think?? :-D

In other news, the brilliant Stephen Hawking warns us off any attempt to contact intelligent extraterrestrial life. The results may not be pretty. I think he's probably right ... I love what he said about how all we need to do is look in the mirror to see how intelligent life can evolve into something we wouldn't like to meet. :-D I do believe there is most likely other intelligent life forms out there - considering the size of the universe, it seems statistically improbable that there isn't - but I'm pretty sure I could live the rest of my life quite happily without meeting any of them.

Although of course if they looked anything like this ... ? ;-)

Whatever their physical appearance, I'm sure we can all agree that the strongest possible evidence we have that there are indeed intelligent life forms out there is that none of them have ever tried to make contact with us.

No comments: