Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Things not to do in traffic

So, those of you who know me well know that I always have my camera with me pretty much wherever I go - and I really do mean wherever - I hardly even go to the grocery store without that thing. And I take pictures of all kinds of weird things. (I am really annoying to go hiking with, apparently.) It's come in handy a lot of times ... I've gotten some good shots that way. :-) Sometimes when you're just sitting on the bus or waiting for a train or whatever, something really cool or fun or strange can happen, and you can be there to capture it for eternity. o_O

But sometimes, alas, you just aren't quick enough. Sometimes, even though I have the camera with me, I don't get shots that I really want, because the camera is in a bag or a purse or a backpack and I don't get hold of it quickly enough. Like the week before Easter. What I wouldn't have given to have had my camera ready in my hand just then ... !!

I was sitting on the bus on my way home from work, and it was kind of inching its way along Tveten Road, where there's usually a lot of traffic at that time of day. So I'm sitting there, minding my own business, looking at people going by in the opposite direction in their cars ... and I see a woman using her cell phone, punching in a number and then putting it to her ear and talking. She totally looked at the screen while she punched the number ... she held the phone up in front of her and looked at the screen pretty closely. Which, yeah, you're not allowed to do. You're not allowed to use your phone like that while you're driving, it's against the law in this country. And traffic was moving at a pretty good speed in the direction she was going, so that's actually a potentially serious no-no, using your phone like that. You're supposed to use it only with a handsfree set. This woman didn't have a handsfree set. What she did have, though, was a police uniform. o_O <-- True story.

I want to say a full police uniform, because that would sound even better, but she didn't have her cap on, more's the pity. She may have had it on the seat next to her though, I couldn't see. And I didn't get a picture. Alas!! I only have the memory ... but I will treasure that forever.

2 comments:

Paz said...

it always amazes me that people think that they cannot be seen when they are in their car

Leisha Camden said...

Yeah, that is so true. Once I saw a guy reading a book that he had spread out on the steering wheel while he was driving in like 45 kph. o_O