Sunday, July 13, 2008

The Nordic Ark, July 12th 2008. Part One

Like I said yesterday: the best zoo ever. :-) Well, among the ones I've seen, obviously. But this place was so far superior to anything else I've ever seen that I doubt there are many places out there that can measure up to it. We were all just blown away by it. We had an amazing day and we all felt that our expectations had fallen completely short of the reality. Kudos to everyone involved in that project, they're doing a spectacular job. :-)

So: the place is called Nordens Ark, ie the Nordic Ark. It's a zoo which focuses exclusively on two things: species that are threatened by extinction, and species that belong in our type of climate. (Ie, nothing tropical or subtropical, except a few of the species in the reptile house.) The park is in Hunnebostrand in Bohuslän in Sweden. It took about three hours to drive there from Oslo. I went on a day trip yesterday with three of my friends - my best friend C., who drove us, KAS and her boyfriend trilltrall.

This was what we saw when we got there.


It looked good. But we had no idea just how good it was going to be. :-)

(Photo credit: KAS)

No comments: