Sunday, May 1, 2011

LATVIA 2011 - Angel In Disguise

Again I have to apologize for my shallow-mindedness and prejudice. When I hear a band, or a solo performer, or whatever, who have given up their actual names and instead chosen to call themselves something that is just beyond pretentious, that immediately makes me dislike their musical efforts before I've even heard it. I'm sorry, I can't help it. I think I was just born this way.

So, when this song won in Latvia back in February, I didn't like it at all before I'd listened to it, just because the duo performing it call themselves Musiqq. WTF? Get over yourselves, silly boys. >:-(

Anyway ... I want to dislike it heartily, but alas, I cannot. I don't exactly like it that much either, but it doesn't completely suck (as I was hoping it would). You may think it does if you watch the video below, but wait for the chorus. It's really catchy. The verses are the problem ... they're trying to rap, they're just doing it very badly. Their costumes aren't much to write home about and the performance isn't really ... um ... it's kind of embarrassing, to be honest. But it does have some potential, because the studio version actually sounds pretty good. So I think it will depend a lot on how they've developed this entry since February. Whatever they've done I don't think they'll get very far. Probably won't see this in the final. But they may not totally bomb. ;-)

This is Musiqq (gag me with a spoon) performing Angel In Disguise by Marats Ogļezņevs - he's one of the guys in the band, so kudos for that. He will be competing for Latvia on Thursday, May 12th.


Widescreen here.

Lyrics here.

No comments: