Wednesday, May 4, 2011

RUSSIA 2011 - Get You

Russia's song this year is one of those that I like sort of despite myself. Or rather, I can't understand why I like it, but I like it anyway. :-)

What's not to like? The lyrics are atrocious. In places even a little creepy. The tune, although catchy, isn't all that original. The singer's not very good. That thing that they're doing with his voice is annoying. (Gimmicks like that tend to tell me that the song is too weak to stand on its own, and that the production team know it.) The performance is mostly standard. All these things are true, and yet I really like this song. In fact I liked it immediately, the first time I ever heard it. It quite caught me up, but I don't know why.

The one word I'd use to describe this entry is probably 'addictive'. You know it's not really good for you but you can't stop. :-) I'm even sometimes annoying by it while I'm listening to it ... but I don't change to another song. This one has a beat, or something, that just pulls me in. Russia is one of the entries people are really talking about this year, and although I see a lot of flaws in it I totally understand where they're coming from. It's like with Greece in Kyiv. And we all know how that went. :-o

No, I don't think this is the winner - at least not with the kind of unoriginal performance you can see below. But I'll be very surprised if it doesn't get to the final.

This is Aleksej Vorobyov performing Get You which he cowrote with a bunch of other guys calling themselves silly things. They'll be competing for Russia on Tuesday, May 10th.


Widescreen here.

Lyrics here.

No comments: