Monday, May 4, 2009

SWEDEN 2009: Malena Ernman – La Voix

It's official: Swedes are stupid. >:-)

They seriously fucked up last year, right? They sent an awful song that nobody liked, it miraculously got through from the semi as a jury wild card and ended up in 18th place. Shockingly. >:-) Actually, it really was a shock to the Swedes as they thought they'd do super well with that trashy plastic doll they sent to sing their nonsense. (Sorry to any Swedes reading this ... but I really hate that song, and I resent your sending it because I know that you can do so much better!!) Admittedly, not all of them. Some of them were realists. ;-) But they drowned in the choir, alas, especially since a number of the song's fans were strategically placed in the media. How odd. >:-) Anyway.

They were upset because they did so badly, and determined to do better next year, ie, this year. Yees ... that's understandable, and sensible, but how to go about it? Here's a tip: Don't send another song by the same guy who wrote the song you bombed with last year!!!

It's kind of sad that it's actually necessary to say that out loud.

I don't really know what I think about this. It's both really good and really bad. The chorus I think is fantastic. It's what a pop song should be. It lifts us up where we belong. But, erm ... the verses on the other hand kind of suck. So I don't know what to say. Overall I don't like it, because the verses bug me too much and I don't like thinking about how great this song could have been, if only. The presentation in the national final was relatively good ... at least up until they took out their masks. o_O Well, 'good' is maybe not the word I want. There was something off about that too, but I can't put my finger on it. It could all have been so much better but it's not ... so I'm disappointed, and don't like this much.

And I'm not at all convinced that this song has any chances in Moscow. The opera thing's kind of been done. And much better (yay, Slovenia!). And with the hand that lit up, ooh. :-) They're trying to be original, but they may end up being just plain weird. I also really don't like the lyrics - opera's supposed to be about the major things in life, passion, death, the ocean, etc, but this song is just ... what ... do you wanna know a secret, I'm in love with you. That's like something the Beatles made schoolgirls giggle with 45 years ago. Meh.

This is Malena Ernman really trying hard, though ;-) ... performing La Voix (meaningless title, much??) by her very own self and the useless Fredrik Kempe. I mean, come on, try to think a little. They will be competing for Sweden on May 12th.



Lyrics here.

6 comments:

Mathew said...

Hi! I just love Charlotte Perrelli's Hero. :) I think it is the best Swedish Eurovision song ever.
And it was in fact awarded as the best song last year among all the European fans.

I still play it a lot.

Leisha Camden said...

I think it sucks. :-) What's your point?

If all the European fans thought it was so great, they ought to have voted more for it in Belgrade. >:-)

nona35 said...

I didn't like Hero and as sure as hell don't like this one too! So sorry for Sweden one of my favourite countries in ESC!
Good luck anyway!!!

Leisha Camden said...

I know, it really sucks. Because Sweden makes so much great pop music. I know they can do better.

Unknown said...

My Top 5:
1.Spain
2.Turkey.
3.Azerbajan
4.Finland
5.Greece

Spain will win this year

Leisha Camden said...

I agree that Turkey will probably do extremely well this year. The more I listen to it the more I wonder if they won't end up winning the whole thing. :-) As for Spain, I don't know. The song is definitely growing on me. But it isn't very original, so I'm not sure that it will be memorable enough. Especially since any Spanish song won't have the chance to grow on people, unfortunately.

But we'll see - it'll be exciting, that's the only thing I'm sure about. ;-)