Wednesday, April 15, 2009

ANDORRA 2009: Susanne Georgi - La teva decisió

OK, now, I know this isn't just me - this song is a Katy Perry ripoff. Seriously, this is a total scam. Even so I kind of like it. It's a catchy song with a good beat. I like the singer ... she is Danish originally, an immigrant to Andorra, and she has a pretty good voice, I think. I like it that she's not a stick insect like a lot of the performers often are ... OK, not just in the ESC, but generally on the music scene. This girl looks like a real-life woman. :-) She's confident on stage and her performance is itself pretty good ... the choreography & costumes are naff IMO, but then again, Serbia's entry in 2007 was even worse and they sure turned it around by the final. ;-) I don't like the video much. It'll be interesting to see how they'll present this on stage. I think a lot will depend on that.

Andorra is one of the few nations that openly say that they absolutely don't want to win the ESC. I understand them, totally. The Eurovision Song Contest is, literally, the biggest show on earth. There isn't an arena in Andorra that's big enough to house it. They would have to ask for help from Spain or France ... and the expense would be staggering for them. Nope, they don't want to ever win. They just want to participate, to have the attention of all of Europe for three minutes once a year and to show off their language a bit. They mostly sing in their own language, which I think is great. I really appreciate their attitude, and I wish more of the participating nations would share it.

This song may do pretty well, but I'm not at all sure that it will. I think it may be too much of a standard pop song to really be noticed. I like it. The chorus is catchy and I like the singer. But ... it may slip through the cracks. Good luck, Andorra ... you can hold your head up this year, whatever happens. :-)

This is Susanne Georgi performing La teva decisió by Rune Braager, Lene Dissing, Marcus Winther-John, Pernille Georgi and Susanne Georgi who will be competing for Andorra in the first semi, performing in slot #7.

Performance in the national final:

Official video:

Lyrics here.

2 comments:

nona35 said...

I really like this smiling girl and The song is ok! Nothing special but ok. I think it can pass in the final!

Leisha Camden said...

Yes, the singer is a strong point for this entry. :-) The song is pretty catchy and it does have a chance to get through, definitely. Not a winner though. But a pretty charming entry. It'll be interesting to see how they present it on stage, because IMO the presentation in the national contest (as seen in the video) was kind of naff. But they have every opportunity of changing it, so ... we'll see. :-)