Wednesday, April 15, 2009

AZERBAIJAN 2009: AySel & Arash – Always

Meh. Nah. This is one of my least favorite entries this year. It's an amateurish effort performed by two singers who, IMO, aren't very good. The chorus is kind of catchy, but just in an annoying earworm way. The performance is embarrassing and the lyrics are stupid. I think I'm addicted to you/In your eyes I see dreams coming true. OK, whatever. This is Azerbaijan's second year in the contest; their first entry was weird and kind of creepy, but at least it was original. This is a standard pop song ... they've tried giving it a bit of a local flavor in the intro but ... nah. Meh. This song is just totally standard. Nothing special in any way. Filler.

I don't think Azerbaijan can hope to do very well this year. I certainly hope not - they don't deserve to with this thoroughly bland and not entirely professional entry.

This is AySel and her ... I want to say cousin? ... Arash performing Always by Arash Labaf, Robert Uhlmann, Johan Bejerholm, Marcus Englof, Alex Papaconstantinou, Elin Wrethov and Anderz Wrethov - whew! - who will be competing for Azerbaijan on May 14th. They have drawn a pretty good slot, #12. Don't think that will help them much though. >:-)

From the national selections:


The official video:


Lyrics here.

2 comments:

nona35 said...

Something tells me this will do well though I don't like it at all :-(

Leisha Camden said...

Yeah, it may be one of those songs that just slide through for no discernible reason. But I don't really think so ... I think there are so many entries this year that are original and will stand out ... so hopefully this will be too bland to be remembered. :-)