Sunday, April 26, 2009

GREECE 2009: Sakis Rouvas – This Is Our Night

One of the major favorites this year. Deservedly? IMO - alas, no, not really. The song is a quality product, I won't deny that. But that's also very blatantly what it is - a product. Thoroughly designed and produced. And that isn't generally a plus in this contest. Overproduced and very slick entries tend to not do very well. Why? I wouldn't claim to know, but if I am to venture a guess, I'd say that it's because they very often have less charm and less personality than the less professional entries. Of course, that's a fine line to tread. But I think this one comes down on the wrong side.

It also isn't actually very catchy, surprisingly. o_O

The video's pretty good, although the Greek elements in it seem kind of tacked on. The live performance I don't like at all. I fail to see how this entry could have become a favorite on the basis of that. It's outdated and ... I'm sorry, I think it's embarrassing. That's the one word I'd pick to describe that performance. I was almost confused watching it ... like, is this what everyone's raving about? Because it's nowhere near what I'd expect from a seasoned performer like Rouvas.

Greece has sent much better entries in the past (Everything from 2006 comes to mind, a fantastic song) and IMO this one doesn't deserve to win. The whole thing is just way too slick and packaged. And if the presentation in Moscow is the same as it was in the national final, I can't see it standing much chance, either.

But don't take my word for it, see for yourselves. :-) This is Sakis Rouvas performing This Is Our Night by Craig Porteils and Cameron Giles-Webb ... they will be competing for Greece on May 14th, starting number 13.

National final:


Official video:


Lyrics here.

2 comments:

nona35 said...

I love Rouvas but I couldn't agree more with you about the presentation! It sucks! Hopefully it'll be completely different in Moscow and then, maybe, we'll be in the top 10 in the final!!!
The song is ok but not one of my favourites. I think Sakis will do just fine!

Leisha Camden said...

Well, you did end up in the top ten! :-) But I hope you (ie Greece :-) will send something better next year. Not so much a better song as a better performance. It looked like they were doing aerobics or something and IMO the presentation was undignified for a man Sakis' age ... not to be ageist but he is almost 40 ... ;-)