Tuesday, April 28, 2009

LATVIA 2009: Intars Busulis – Probka

OK, now, I know I've been saying again and again that so many entries would be better in their native languages, so that the rest of us couldn't understand how silly the lyrics are ... and that's normally how I feel ... but in this case I actually rather think the opposite. This entry would be more fun if the rest of us could understand what the lyrics were about. Because they're actually pretty funny. The link to the lyrics, with translation, is on the bottom of this post, so check it out. :-)

This song, on its own merit, is OK, but not that special. Not my type of music, but that's another story. It's not very melodius ... although of course that's probably part of the point ... but there's not much here in the way of a catchy hook that'll stick in people's minds. It'd have to be the chorus, but ... I don't know. It gets kind of repetitive, too, towards the end there. This entry may appeal to the younger parts of the audience. But I don't have very high hopes for it. I don't think it has the chance to appeal broadly enough. But it'll be interesting to see what the juries think about it.

This is Intars Busulis performing Probka by Janis Elsbergs and Sergej Timofejev ... they will be competing for Latvia on May 14th. Going on right after Ireland, who have an entry that I think many more viewers will like than this one. IMHO. :-)



Lyrics here.

2 comments:

nona35 said...

OK, this is my least favourite song this year. I got tired listening to it, it's kind of disturbing to my ears. Good luck anyway Latvia!

Leisha Camden said...

I agree that you can get a little tired listening to this ... it is quite repetitive, IMO, after a while. But it's definitely not my least favorite entry, Ukraine's got that beat by a mile. :-D