Tuesday, April 14, 2009

THE NETHERLANDS 2009: The Toppers - Shine

Huh. Listening to this song I'm kind of weirded out. It's a good song, and I like it - although I'm not sure I'll remember it for very long; it doesn't have a whole lot of personality - but somehow it sounds ... old. Like ... this is a song that really could have held its own against Love Shine A Light. That's what this reminds me of - and it isn't just the title, honestly. :-) It's the beat, too, the whole style of the song. But that's good, right? Love was a winner, literally. Yees ... twelve years ago. o_O I'm really not sure whether audiences will connect to this type of song now. IMO this entry has the feel of a '90s pop song. Which in itself isn't bad - the 1990s was a good decade for pop music. It's just that ... things have moved on since then. The ESC too, although some may claim it hasn't. >:-) That is BS and everyone who knows anything does know that. The ESC has evolved enormously over the past ... let's say 5-7 years. These days there are soo many different types of music competing, there is experimentation going on, and I feel as if the Netherlands are trying to go the safe route by sending this entry. Which can work, I'm not saying it can't. I just am not sure that it will. I'm not sure that the international audience won't be simply bored with this song.

Although it is a good entry - I almost said 'by ESC standards', but I'll try to control myself ;-) - it has a good melody, a pretty catchy rhythm, lyrics that are easy to understand and a professional band who give a good performance and seem happy and confident on stage. This entry has a lot going for it. But somehow, despite all this, my hopes aren't very high. I think the audience will think that they've heard this one before and then mostly forget about it in favor of something more memorable.

Although it will be interesting to see what they decide to wear on stage. ;-)

This is The Toppers performing Shine by Bas van den Heuvel and Ger van de Westelaken who will be competing for the Netherlands in the prime slot in the second semi, ie as #19 on May 14th.

Lyrics here.

3 comments:

nona35 said...

I don't like it and I'm pretty sure it won't reach the final. Sorry!

Leisha Camden said...

I think that either this will get to the final or it will bomb totally ... ie get hardly any votes in the semi. I find it so hard to tell, because it's so old-fashioned ... IMO the song in itself is pretty good, but it sounds like it's ten years old and I think the audience may not like it because of that. It's hard to tell. It'll be interesting. :-)

Leisha Camden said...

Ooh, and don't forget, they have the best slot ... ! They're at #19 in the second semi. That's a serious advantage for them. :-)