Thursday, April 16, 2009

CYPRUS 2009: Christina Metaxa – Firefly

Hmm.

This is a song that I appreciate intellectually, but don't actually personally like. Or, it's not that I dislike it, it just leaves me cold. Also the singer is sort of weird-looking ... and no, I don't know what I mean by that. o_O

This is a good enough song, I suppose ... and I think it may do pretty well. It has originality, certainly. It's relatively melodious. The singer ... isn't very good, IMO. But she does have an unusual voice that the audience may remember. I suppose her voice fits the song well ... she said grudgingly. :-) I really don't know what it is about this song. It just doesn't reach me. There's something in the tune that I just feel is sort of off in some way.

Oh, and the video's kind of weird too. :-)

I can't explain it ... and I really don't know how this song will do in Moscow. I think maybe the juries will like it better than the audience. It will be interesting to see how they present this on stage.

This is Christina Metaxa performing Firefly by Nikolas Metaxas who will be competing for Cyprus in slot #7 on May 14th. They're going on stage right after us. That will hopefully be what we Norwegians like to call jumping after Wirkola. Jumping on skis, of course ... and Bjørn Wirkola is a legendary champion of that sport. :-)

From the national selections:

The official video:

Lyrics here.

4 comments:

nona35 said...

OK, now it's Cyprus and I'm Greek so......... you know :-D
The truth is that I really like this song.(It sounds like "The Cranberries")
The singer though is way off tune in many parts of the song and something tells me it'll be out of the final. Once again!!!!

nona35 said...

Well it got better!!!
I'm so happy! I can see light!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDuyywYn0UI&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eesctoday%2Ecom%2Fnews%2Fread%2F13888&feature=player_embedded

Elin said...

Actually, I really like this song. Probably one of my favourites...

Leisha Camden said...

nona: I agree, it did get better. I thought the presentation on stage was very good. And the song is kind of growing on me. :-)

Elin: I think we know what there is about this entry that you like ... ;-)