Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Mountain vacation 2008. August 15th: Røros

Røros has an architectural uniformity that is rather unique in Norway, where not a great many old buildings are preserved. (This is because we built in wood and then it burned ... and then we rebuilt in wood and then it burned again ... etc ...) Certainly it's rare to find whole neighborhoods. In Røros, the entire center of town is comprised of wooden 17th through 19th-century structures. The town as a whole is on UNESCO's list of world heritage sites. You can get more info on that here (both in Norwegian and in English).

These are some pictures I took while walking around. :-)

A view across the town from the upper levels of the cemetery.

Some streets. :-)

Someone's idyllic back yard. With chairs that don't entirely match ... but who am I to pass judgment. They've got to put them somewhere.

My mother walking along a residential street (Elin up ahead).

A street.

A lovely house ... one among very many charming old houses.

Church Street, I presume.

7 comments:

Paz said...

I like the buildings, cute, but where are the cars, bikes etc

Paz said...

there are very few timber homes in Ireland nice to see them

Leisha Camden said...

There were some people on bikes around, but none of them ended up in my photos. As for cars - look, I added another picture with some parked cars in it. That's something, right? :-) I think the streets around the church, at least a couple of them, are pedestrian streets - no cars allowed. I'm not sure, but I think so. We had to park in another street, sort of 'below' downtown a little bit. Generally though I don't actually try to get as many cars as possible in my pictures ... ;-)

I love old houses, they have so much more charm than most modern ones. :-)

Paz said...

I agree with you on the cars thing I try not to get them in pics, I also try not to include random people unless they contribute to picture, but I just noticed there seemed to be no cars on streets etc, reminded me of a place in Holland where all the parking was behind the houses and all routes to local shops etc were on foot where you had to meet people.
I love old buildings too, I love all those wooded ones

Leisha Camden said...

Yeah, random passersby suck. >:-( It's hard to avoid them though.

One time in China my friend & makebelieve twin* managed to take not one, but two fantastic shots of 'cultural relics' as they call them with NO people in them at all. One was at the Temple of Heaven in Beijing and the other was at the, what is it called ... the Wild Goose Pagoda in Xian. When we were there it was pretty crowded both places ... and we got lots of random strangers in almost all of our photos. Except for those two pics. Weirdness. :-)


*she is real, it's the twin part that's just makebelieve ;-)

Paz said...

there are a lot of American tourists that come to Ireland because they are Irish( we too are like the norwegions, they are not Irish but Irish American), a lot of them actually pose for the pic when they see someone pointing a camera.
be more fun if in your thirties you had an imaginary friend, we all need a bit of madness in our lives

Leisha Camden said...

Actually most of my other friends think that my makebelieve twin (we are not in any way related, but we were born in the same night at the same hospital, with the same rare hip condition (now cured in both of us) and we have the same first name) is in fact an imaginary friend ... because she works too much and she lives in another town so she's never at any kind of event with my other friends. So some of them tease me about her and claim that I'm just making her up ... and strictly speaking, who can say ... ? ;-)